Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is a classic dessert that is loved by many. It is the perfect combination of creamy vanilla ice cream and rich chocolate chips, making it one of the most popular flavors in the world!
Making vanilla chocolate chip ice cream at home is surprisingly easy and requires only a few simple ingredients, it also mean you can adjust the recipe to your liking. Whether you prefer a creamier texture or a stronger vanilla flavor, you can customize the recipe to suit your taste buds.
When it comes to making homemade vanilla chocolate chip ice cream, there are a few key ingredients that you’ll need to have on hand:
To make vanilla chocolate chip ice cream, you will need basic ingredients such as heavy cream, whole milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and of course, chocolate chips. The process involves heating the milk and sugar, adding in the cream and vanilla extract, and then churning the mixture in an ice cream maker. Once the ice cream has reached the desired consistency, you can fold in the chocolate chips and freeze it until it is ready to serve.
Vanilla extract is an essential ingredient in any vanilla ice cream recipe. Be sure to use high-quality vanilla extract for the best flavor.
Chocolate chips are another key ingredient in this recipe. You can use either semi-sweet, milk or dark chocolate chips, depending on your personal preference. You can use mini chocolate chips, as they will distribute more evenly throughout the ice cream, or big ones!
Heavy cream is what gives this ice cream its rich, creamy texture. Be sure to use heavy cream that has a high fat content for the best results.
Whole milk is another important ingredient in this recipe. It helps to balance out the richness of the heavy cream and adds a slightly lighter texture to the ice cream.
Granulated sugar is used to sweeten the ice cream. Be sure to add it gradually to the egg mixture, whisking well after each addition, to ensure that it dissolves completely.
A pinch of salt is added to the ice cream to help balance out the sweetness and enhance the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Ice Cream Maker
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
The Ice Cream maker to use!
You have to have an ice cream maker if you want to make ice cream or sorbet! I started making it using the Cuisinart ICE-100 Compressor Ice Cream and Gelato.
There is no faffing around with bowls in the freezer. When you are ready for ice cream, it’s ready. Just turn on the Cuisinart ice cream maker and go. In about 40 minutes, you have ice cream that you can eat right then, or you can put it in the freezer to harden up a bit more. Once done in, you’ll have about 1 litre of ice cream ready to devour!
1. Preparing the Ice Cream Maker
Before making the vanilla chocolate chip ice cream, it’s important to ensure that the ice cream maker is ready to use. If you are using an ice cream maker with a bowl, then it should be placed in the freezer for at least 24 hours prior to use. This will ensure that the bowl is completely frozen and ready to churn the ice cream mixture.
2. Mixing the Ingredients
To make the vanilla chocolate chip ice cream, the ingredients should be mixed together in a large bowl. Gradually add sugar to the milk until it’s dissolved. Add the cream and the vanilla and mix everything together.
3. Churning the Ice Cream
Once the ice cream maker is ready and the ingredients are mixed together, it’s time to churn the ice cream. Remove the ice cream maker bowl from the freezer and insert it into the ice cream maker. Pour the ice cream mixture into the bowl and turn on the ice cream maker to level two. Leave it to mix for 15-20 minutes or until the desired consistency is reached.
4. Adding the Chocolate Chips
Place the pureed mixture into a large bowl in the refrigerator until it is chilled. Transfer the mixture to the chilled container of your ice-cream maker and make the sorbet as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
When the ice cream is almost done churning, it’s time to add the chocolate chips. With the ice cream maker still running, add chocolate chips and churn for an additional 30 seconds or until they are fully mixed in.
You can start eating your ice cream immediately or keep it in the freezer for a couple of hours to firm it up.
Overall, making vanilla chocolate chip ice cream requires a few steps of preparation, mixing, churning, and adding the chocolate chips. By following these steps, anyone can create a delicious homemade ice cream that is sure to impress.
- Use high-quality ingredients. The better the ingredients, the better the ice cream will taste.
- Make sure the ice cream mixture is chilled before churning. This will help it freeze faster and result in a smoother texture.
- When adding the chocolate chips, make sure they are evenly distributed throughout the mixture. This can be done by adding them in gradually while churning.
- For a stronger vanilla flavor, use a vanilla bean instead of vanilla extract.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can still make ice cream by placing the mixture in a container in the freezer and stirring it every 30 minutes until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Store the ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer to prevent freezer burn.
- Let the ice cream sit at room temperature for a few minutes before serving to make it easier to scoop.
Vanilla chocolate chip ice cream is a classic flavor that can be enjoyed in many different ways. Here are a few variations to try:
- Mint Chocolate Chip: Add 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract to the ice cream mixture before churning. Fold in chocolate chips as usual.
- Rocky Road: Fold in chopped almonds and mini marshmallows in addition to the chocolate chips.
- Cookie Dough: Make a batch of your favorite cookie dough recipe and roll it into small balls. Freeze the balls and then fold them into the ice cream mixture during the last few minutes of churning.
Experiment with different types of chocolate chips, such as dark chocolate, white chocolate, or peanut butter chips. You can also add other mix-ins, such as crushed Oreos or chopped candy bars, for a unique twist on this classic flavor.
Frequently asked questions
Can you make lactose-free vanilla chocolate chip ice cream?
Absolutely! If you don’t have lactose tolerance and want to enjoy homemade vanilla chocolate chip ice cream, you can replace whole milk with lactose-free milk. moreover, you can also use coconut cream or lactose-free heavy cream.
Is vanilla chocolate chip ice cream gluten-free?
It depends on the specific recipe and ingredients used. The vanilla ice cream base itself may be gluten-free, but if the chocolate chips contain gluten or if they are processed in a facility that also processes gluten, then the ice cream would not be gluten-free. It’s important to check the ingredients and manufacturing processes of all ingredients used.
How long does vanilla chocolate chip ice cream last in the freezer?
A: Homemade vanilla chocolate chip ice cream can last up to two weeks in the freezer, while store-bought varieties may last longer due to the addition of stabilizers. It’s important to store ice cream in an airtight container to prevent ice crystals from forming.
List of other ice creams
Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Combine the milk and sugar in a medium bowl and whisk together until the sugar has dissolved.
- Stir in the cream and the vanilla
- Cover and put in the fridge for at least two hours, but I would do overnight
- Take out of the fridge and make it according to the manufacturer’s instructions. (I always use my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker)*
- Add chocolate chips when you have about 5 minutes left in ice cream maker
- Wow everyone by serving it immediately or store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
- Pour in the ice cream mixture, add the ice cream paddle and then turn it on
- I set the timer for 35 minutes
- You can always churn it longer if you want it harder
- Put it in the freezer to harden up some more