Sugar-Free Strawberry Ice Cream is a quick, effortless, deliciously creamy homemade ice cream that is just right to bring a smile to your face.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Puréed Fresh Strawberries: The main ingredient for this ice cream recipe is pureed strawberries. I prefer using fresh strawberries and pureeing them, but you can also use frozen strawberries. Just remember to thaw them out first before pureeing them.
- Whole Milk: The next main ingredient for making ice cream is whole dairy milk. t has the right amount of fat that gives you creamy ice cream.
- Sugar-Substitute: Since this is a sugar-free recipe, we use sugar substitutes like Splenda, Xylitol, or stevia.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: Heavy cream is yet another essential ingredient that gives the ice cream its smooth and silky texture because of its fat content. Using heavy cream prevents crystal formation, ensuring the ice cream has a luxuriously smooth consistency.
- Vanilla Extract: For a bit of umami flavor, vanilla extract is a great ingredient to add to your sugar-free strawberry ice cream. It is optional, though.
- Salt: Salt not just acts as a flavor enhancer but also allows the ice cream to freeze homogeneously.
How to Make Sugar-Free Strawberry Ice Cream
- Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, pour milk. Add sugar substitute, vanilla extract, and salt. Stir to mix everything until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Step 2: Add heavy cream and continue to stir.
- Step 3: Add fresh strawberry puree to the end and gently fold using a rubber spatula s that everything is well combined.
- Step 4: Pour the prepared mixture into the chilled ice cream maker’s bowl. Churn the ice cream for about 50 to 55 minutes following the instruction manual.
- Step 5: Once the time is up, transfer the churned ice cream into an air-tight, freezer-safe container and freeze for 2 to 3 hours.
- Step 6: Top the strawberry with fresh or strawberry syrup and serve. Enjoy!
The Ice Cream maker to use!
You have to have an ice cream maker if you want to make ice cream or sorbet! I started making it using the Cuisinart ICE-100 Compressor Ice Cream and Gelato.
There is no faffing around with bowls in the freezer. When you are ready for ice cream, it’s ready. Just turn on the Cuisinart ice cream maker and go. In about 40 minutes, you have ice cream that you can eat right then, or you can put it in the freezer to harden up a bit more. Once done in, you’ll have about 1 litre of ice cream ready to devour!
- Before making the ice cream, place the churner’s bowl in the freezer for at least 24 hours to chill.
- Make sure the milk, heavy cream, and strawberry puree are also very chilled. Place these ingredients in the freezer for an hour or two for the best results.
- You can use a natural sweetener like monk fruit as well.
- If you want to make this with sugar, use regular granulated sugar.
- You can use other berries instead of strawberries as well.
- If you are more drawn to natural ingredients, use Himalayan pink salt instead of regular salt.
- You can use a bit of sour cream to add a bite.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make lactose-free strawberry ice cream?
Absolutely! If you don’t have lactose tolerance and want to enjoy homemade strawberry ice cream, you can replace whole milk with lactose-free milk. moreover, you can also use coconut cream or lactose-free heavy cream.
Can you make dairy-free strawberry ice cream?
Yes! If you want a dairy-free strawberry ice cream without compromising its creamy and smooth consistency, use full-fat coconut milk instead of dairy milk. You can also add coconut cream instead of heavy cream for more creaminess.
What toppings go best with sugar-free strawberry ice cream?
So many fantastic topping ideas go well with sugar-free strawberry ice cream. For instance, you can use fresh berries or strawberries, roughly chopped nuts, granola, strawberry, or chocolate syrup. You can also use this ice cream for making milkshakes.
Sugar-Free Strawberry Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 Cups Puréed Fresh Strawberries (or Frozen if you don't have fresh)
- 3/4 Cup Whole Milk or Lactose-Free Whole Milk
- 2/3 Cup Cup Xylitol or any Sugar-Substitute (like Splenda) (or regular granulated sugar)
- 1 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Pinch Salt
- Make sure you have your ice cream maker ready: Freeze the bowl attachment overnight. If your ice cream maker does everything then you are ready to go!
- Have all of your ingredients handy! It makes life so much easier. Have everything well-chilled for at least 2 hours before making. Don't worry about the vanilla, sweetener, and salt.
- When you are ready to go, grab a bowl and add your vanilla, sweetener, and salt and milk. Stir, stir, stir until sugar is totally dissolved.
- Then add your heavy cream and stir well.
- Finally add your strawberry puree and mix!
- Pour the mixture into the bowl of the ice cream maker and proceed following the manufacturer’s instruction.
- It can take about 45-50 minutes to make! I know – it is hard to wait!
- Once it's done, if you haven't eaten it all, then put it in a container and shove it in the freezer for at least 2-3 hours.
- When you are ready to serve it, then think about adding a few strawberries on top, a drizzle of sugar-free chocolate syrup!