The Windy City, Chicago, might be rich in history, architecture, entertainment, art, and more, but don’t forget that Chicago was the birthplace of brownie! They were cooked up at Chicago’s Palmer House for the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition, aka World’s Fair. What goes perfectly with a fudgy brownie? Ice Cream! So here is best ice cream in Chicago Suburbs you can!
Best Ice Cream Spots in Chicago Suburbs
When you desire sweet treats in the Chicago Suburbs, look no further than these places.[ez-toc]
The Original Rainbow Cone
Thank goodness for “Grandpa Joe”, who wasn’t ever satisfied with just one simple flavor, the first Rainbow Cone came about in 1926. By cone, I mean ice cream cone with all different flavors piled high!
He and his wife created their signature cone featuring five different flavors – Orange Sherbet, Pistachio, Palmer House (vanilla with cherries and walnuts), Strawberry, and Chocolate; all sliced (not scooped) into a cone.
With this, they became a local favorite and one of Chicago’s best ice cream shops. Obviously, they didn’t stop at those flavors; they also have Chocolate Peanut Butter, Butter Pecan, Black Walnut, New York Vanilla, and Mint Flake, among others.
Choose from their ice cream cakes, rolls, or mini donuts to satisfy your sweet tooth. You can also create your own sundae or shake with your choice of flavors or go for a Banana Split.
Keep an eye out for their traveling ice cream trucks!
- The Original Rainbow Cone, 9233 S Western Ave, Chicago, IL 60643
Cone Gourmet Ice Cream
For some of the best homemade ice creams with an Irish flair, visit Cone Gourmet Ice Cream in the heart of West Loop. What’s Irish about this ice cream shop, you ask? It’s owned by an Irishman – Sean McGuire and has booze-flavored ice creams.
While kids have a great choice of flavors here, adults can rejoice, especially with the Hair of the Dog sundae (a scoop of Baileys, Guinness, and Jameson topped with chocolate syrup, crumbled Flake bars, and whipped cream with a cherry on top).
Some other delightful choices include the Amaretto (with brownie bits and cookie dough), West Looper (a sundae with pecans, Graham crackers, hot caramel, whipped cream, and a cherry), and Trail Mix (vanilla, peanuts, raisins, and sunflower seeds).
They also have a lovely choice of ice cream cones, including vegan ones. Also you can mix and match ice cream with donuts!
- Cone Gourmet Ice Cream, 1047 W Madison St, Chicago, IL 60607
Black Dog Gelato
Former Pastry Chef Jessica Oloroso’s scoop shop, Black Dog Gelato, gets its name from both her dog and her passion for gelato.
You’ll be dazed by the choice of flavors you can find here, not just any traditional ones, but a wide variety of seasonal flavors and some most unexpected ones. Think Goat Cheese Cashew Caramel, Yuzu Licorice Sorbet, Sesame Fig Chocolate Chip, Birthday Cake, Pumpkin Cheesecake Nutella, and Turkish Coffee float.
She uses what she called “a Northern-style base to create Chicago-style gelato” that’s rich, creamy, and absolutely delicious. With regularly changing flavors, it’s all the more reason to visit them often.
- Black Dog Gelato, 859 N Damen Ave, Chicago, IL 60622
Scooter’s Frozen Custard
Chicago’s oldest frozen custard shop is a locally-owned place that Mardi and Denny Moore opened in 2003. All they wanted was a frozen custard place with great hot dogs, and that’s exactly what they’ve managed to make it – a local favorite.
Frozen custard is their passion and they make their product from scratch daily. You can find Vanilla and Chocolate custard every day plus one of their special flavors of the day.
Some of their sumptuous flavors include Black Raspberry Truffle, Mint Chocolate Chip and Guinness, Turtle Trax, Chocolate Cake Batter, and After Dinner Mint. Don’t forget to add some delectable toppings to your scoop.
They also have mouthwatering concretes, sundaes, shakes, floats, malts, Italian ice, frozen custard pies, and cookie custard sandwiches.
You’ll be offered a free pup cone if you get your furry friend along.
- Scooter’s Frozen Custard, 1658 W. Belmont Ave, Chicago, IL 60657
A delight for the old and young, Margie’s Candies has been a local favorite for over 90 years with homemade sundaes, shakes, and hand-dipped candies!
This old-fashioned ice cream parlor has shelves crowded with Beatles’ memorabilia, who had Margie’s ice cream after playing at Comiskey Park! Al Capone and the Rolling Stones have also enjoyed their share of ice cream treats at Margie’s.
Drop by with your whole family and order their massive sundae featuring 15 scoops of ice cream, sauces, and toppings, unless you dare finish it solo!
- Margie’s Candies, multiple locations
Shawn Michelle’s Homemade Ice Cream
Here’s a South Side institution that serves vanilla ice cream so good that every with all the variety of flavors, you’ll must try the vanilla too.
Located in Bronzeville’s historic Rosenwald Courts Apartments, you can find classic flavors with a twist here – One Night in Madagascar vanilla and Sweet Dark Chocolate. Yet, their signature ice cream flavors are equally tantalizing to the tastebuds – Lemon Sunbeam Supreme, Jamaican Rum Raisin, and Honey Cinnamon Graham Cracker. I can’t wait to try Banana Pudding!
Don’t forget to try one of their freshly-baked cobblers.
- Shawn Michelle’s Homemade Ice Cream, 46 E 47th St, Chicago, IL 60653
Other Places With Delicious Ice Cream in Chicago Suburbs
The list doesn’t end there. Here are some other scoop shops where you can find creamy ice cream in the Chicago Suburbs:
- Kimmer’s Ice Cream, check their website for their locations – This is a classic ice cream shop that has been serving up delicious ice cream for over 70 years. They offer over 100 flavors, including classics like chocolate and vanilla, as well as more unique options like lavender honey and pistachio.
- Lickity Split Frozen Custard, 6056 N Broadway, Chicago, IL 60660, and 7000 N Western Ave, Chicago, IL 60645 – This shop has some of the creamiest and most delicious frozen custard in the city. They use high-quality ingredients and offer a range of flavors, including classic chocolate and vanilla, as well as more unique options like green tea and salted caramel.
- Gina’s Italian Ice, 6737 Roosevelt Rd, Berwyn, IL 60402 – If you’re looking for a refreshing and delicious treat on a hot day, Gina’s Italian Ice is the place to go. They offer a range of flavors, including classic lemon and strawberry, as well as more unique options like piña colada and blue raspberry.
- Kurimu, 1159 W Taylor St, Chicago, IL 60607 and 1632 W Division St, Chicago, IL 60622 – This shop has delicious Japanese-style ice cream that is both creamy and refreshing. They offer a range of unique flavors like black sesame, matcha, and hojicha.
- The Brown Cow Ice Cream Parlor, 7347 Madison St, Forest Park, IL 60130 – This old-school ice cream parlor has some of the best classic flavors in the city. They offer a range of options, including chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry, as well as more unique options like cherry almond and butter pecan.
- Dairy Queen, multiple locations
The cherry on top!
Treat yourself to some of the best frozen treats in the Chicago Suburbs by dropping into one of the local ice cream shops. From delicious Italian ice and soft serve ice cream to ice cream sandwiches and vegan and dairy-free ice cream options, you’ll find it all and more.